Classification of Drugs from Natural Origin
The crude drugs obtain from different natural sources are
used in treatment of wide spectrum of diseases.
It is necessary to arrange them in scientific and systematic
For pharmacogenetic study crude drugs can be arranged in one
of the following class.
1. Alphabetical classification
2. Taxonomical classification
3. Morphological classification
4. Pharmacological classification
5. Chemical classification
6. Chemo taxonomical classification
The Latin name or English name of drug are considered for
this purpose of classification.
This classification is adopted by the following books.
pharmaceutical codex (English)
3. United States
4. Pharmacopoeia Internationalism (Latin)
6. British herbal Pharmacopoeia (English)
• This type of classification does not help in
distinguishing the drugs from plant, Animal or mineral Source and also does not
• They are organized or an organize.
• It is the type of biological classification and restricted
mainly to crude drugs from plant source.
• It indicates the phylum, class, subclass, order, family,
and species of the crude drugs.
• Classified according to the plants and animals from which
they are obtain.
• Grouped according to part of plant or animal represent
into organized and unorganized drug.
Part of Plant Drugs
Nutmeg, Linseed, Colchicum,
Arjuna, Cinchona, Kurchi, Cinnamon
Coca, Digitalis, Senna, Vasaka,
Clove, Rose, Saffron, Santonica
Acacia, Tragacanth, Guar, Ghatti
Catechu, Agar, Gelatine
• Grouped according to their chief constituents or their
Anti-cancer Vinca, Podophyllum, Taxus.
Bitters Gentian, cinchona,
Clove, Coriander, Caraway
Cardiotonics Digitalis, Squill,
Purgatives Senna, rhubarb, aloe
• The chemical natural of their most important constituents.
Type of Chemical Examples
Alkaloids Aconite, Tea, Vinca,
Glycosides Senna, Digitalis, Aloe
Lipids Castor oil,
Tannins Kino, Catechu,
Vitamins Yeast, Cod-liver
oil, Shark-liver oil.
6. Chemotaxonomical classification:-
• Established a relationship between position of plant and
chemical fact characters are flavonoids and alkaloids.
For PDF Notes Click on Download Button