• The drug which increase the activity of various subunit or parts
of CNS (brain and spinal cord) are called CNS stimulant.
• in CNS there are collection of cell which perform certain definite
function are called as an center .e.g. respiratory center, vomiting center,
heat regulating center, appetite controlling center.
• Some type of drugs show mild CNS stimulant effect and produce
toxic side effect in slight higher dose e.g. strychnine.
• Other type of drug show mild CNS. stimulant effect as a side
effect. e.g. Local Anesthetics (cocaine)
• Sympathomimetics (dexamphetamine), Parasympatholytic (atropine)
• CNS stimulant mainly used as an 1) Analeptics 2) Respiratory
• They are also useful to increase mental alertness and produce wakefulness
• To control appetite through CNS stimulant effect.
CNS stimulants Classification
stimulants can be classified as
i) Xanthine derivatives – Caffeine,
ii) Other alkaloids –Strychnine, Lobeline
2) Synthetic drugs –Nikethamide,
3) Miscellaneous drugs – Cocaine (local
Anesthetics), Dexamphetamine (Sympathomimetics), Atropine
• Analeptics are CNS stimulants which
are used to reduce narcosis produced by CNS depression.
• These drugs also act as respiratory
stimulants and thus are used to counteract drugs –induced Respiratory
Structure of Caffeine: