• A tranquilizer is a drug which
is designed for the treatment of anxiety, fear, tension, agitation, and
disturbances of the mind, specifically to reduce states of anxiety and tension.
• Psychoses mean mental condition raised
by disturbance in mental function.
• Mental disease has always been
puzzling and frightening things.
• They are quite different from other
disease of mankind.
1. Organic psychoses where there is
memory distrurnace clouding of consciousness due to endocrinal abnormalities of
2. Functional psychoses may be:
a) Manic: disturbance of mood.
b) Schizophrenia in which there is
disordered of thoughts emotions
d) Anxiety where feeling of fear.
Classifications of Tranquilizers:
derivatives and related tricyclic compound:
derivatives: e.g. chlorpromazine, Prochlorperazine trifluoroperazine.
derivatives: e.g. chlorprothixene ,flupenthixol
2. Butyrophenones: e.g. haloperidol,
3. Dibenzodiazepines: e.g. clozapine
4. Benzamides and salicylamides e.g.
5. Diphenyl butyl piperidine
derivatives: e.g. pimozide
6. Miscellaneous: e.g. Reserpine.
Structure of Chlorpromazine: