INTRODUCTION TO PHARMACEUTICAL CHEMISTRY
• Definition of chemistry
• Classification of chemistry
• Various aspects of pharmaceutical chemistry
At the end of this
lecture, the student will be able to:
• Define chemistry
• Classify chemistry
• Define pharmaceutical chemistry
• Explain various aspects of pharmaceutical chemistry
• Anything that:
–Occupies space (volume).
The trees, the stone, and the buildings in the figure are
all examples of matter.
• Chemistry is the study of the composition of matter and
the changes that matter undergoes.
• Chemistry affects all aspects of life and most natural
events because all living and nonliving things are made of matter.
• The study of chemicals that do not contain carbon.
• Many inorganic chemicals are found in nonliving things,
such as rocks.
• The study of chemicals that contain carbon.
Origin: study of
chemicals in living organisms.
Analytical chemistry: the area of chemistry that focuses on
the composition of matter
• The study of:
– The mechanism
– The rate
– The energy transfer
that happens when matter undergoes change.
• Study of processes that take place in organisms.
to pharmaceutical chemistry
Pharmaceutical chemistry is the science that makes use of
general laws of chemistry to study drugs
General laws of
chemistry includes there:
• Chemical nature
• Influence on an organism
• Studies the physical and chemical properties of drugs and
• The method of quality control and the condition of their
In other words: it is
the chemistry of drugs
• Is a specialized science which depends on other chemical
disciplines such as:
– Colloid chemistry and
– Also on medico-biological discipline such as pharmacology,
physiology, biological chemistry, etc.
It occupies the most important place among the related
sciences such as:
– Drug technology
– Toxicological chemistry
– The economy and organization of the pharmacy
aspects of pharmaceutical chemistry:
1. Methods for isolation, purification and characterization
of medically active agents and materials from natural sources.
Bauxite, a major aluminium ore. The red-brown colour is due
to the presence of iron minerals. Opium, dried crude extract obtained by
incising unripe opium poppy capsules
2. The various synthetic route:
3. Natural substances are converted into products with more
favorable therapeutic or pharmaceutical properties
4. Different forms of a medicinal agent which shows optimum
medicinal activity and at the same time results in stable formulation and
5. Establishment of safe and practical standards with
respect to both dosage and quality.
6. Search for new therapeutic agents especially when there
exists no satisfactory remedy
Newer antibiotics were discovered like semi synthetic
penicillin’s, Cephalosporin’s …etc.
• Chemistry is a science which deals with properties matter.
• Pharmaceutical chemistry: Is the chemistry of drugs and
• Different branches of chemistry are inorganic, organic,
analytical chemistry, physical chemistry and bio chemistry
• Pharmaceutical chemistry covers the aspects of isolation,
synthesis, biological activity safety and quality of the drugs and